Cemeteries > Rybinsk
Courtesy of Aryeh Zafransky
Rybinsk is a town in the center of European Russia, 200 miles from Moscow, on the banks of the Volga river in her upper reaches. Located outside the Jewish Pale, historically the town was closed to Jews. An exception was made for several categories, such as merchants of the first guild, retired soldiers and specialists in the so-called "useful professions". But starting from 1860, a Jewish population began to appear in the town. By the end of the 19th century, it numbered about 30 families. The community had a synagogue and a cemetery, the only one in the district. The Jewish population of the town significantly increased during the First World War, when Jews of the front-line were forcibly transferred to the center of the empire.